Pages

Thursday, October 4, 2012

My Book of Life by Angel

Title: My Book of Life by Angel
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Publishing Group
Pub Date: September 4th, 2012
Author: Martine Leavitt
Received From: NetGalley

My Book of Life by Angel

When sixteen-year-old Angel meets Call at the mall, he buys her meals and says he loves her. He gives her a drug that makes her feel like she can fly. Pretty soon she's addicted, and without even realizing she has run away from home, she moves in with him. Call says that if she really loves him, she'll sleep with his friend-then it's a friend of a friend, and soon she's turning tricks. When her best friend on the street goes missing, Angel is afraid. But it is when her pimp brings home a little girl who is only eleven and wants Angel to show her the ropes, that Angel realizes she has got to find a way to save herself so she can save the girl.


Heavy words, heavy heart, heavy story. Oh wow I am not even sure where to begin. this book is written in Verse and that was kind of a foreign idea to me. I think I like that style of writing but I feel like maybe this book just contained to much heavy content to pull of verse. Angle is a young girl who is drawn into the life of prostitution, quickly taking the readers with her into a dark and scary world. When her John brings home an 11 year old girl Angel does all that she can to protect her. I liked seeing her take on a role so similar to her name. But I just couldn't stop screaming in my head and the men in this book, the Pimps, customers etc. I really wanted to love it but I think the ideas in here and the reality just shook me a bit to much. 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment