Pages

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Things That Keep Us Here

Title: The Things That Keep Us Here
Pub Date:1/25/20111
Author: Carla Buckley
Received From: My Momma!

Everything seems quiet on Ann Brooks’s suburban cul-de-sac. Despite her impending divorce, she’s created a happy home and her daughters are adjusting to the change. She feels lucky to be in a supportive community and confident that she can handle any other hardship that life may throw her way. But then, right before Thanksgiving, a crisis strikes that turns everybody’s world upside down. Suddenly her estranged husband is forced back onto her doorstep, bringing with him his beautiful graduate assistant. Trapped inside the house she once called home, confronted by challenges she never could have imagined, Ann must make life-or-death decisions in an environment where the simple act of opening a door to a neighbor could jeopardize all she holds dear.

The choices she makes will impact the lives of those around her irrevocably and linger in the reader’s memory in this marvelous first novel, written with authority, grace, and wisdom.



In full disclosure I read this book about 7 months ago and I cannot get it out of my head! When I was handed this book, I set it aside for awhile, not really sure it was my cup of tea so to speak. But once I started reading it my life changed. Yes you heard me this book changed my life, not something that I can easily say, most books just entertain me! But this one, well it opened my mind to things I never thought possible. I've always been one to take on a "Oh my goodness what would I do if ____ or _____ happened" attitude. But holy cow, I was not prepared in my brain for what I would do if I were placed in the situations Anna faces. 

There were moments in the book that brought out every possible emotion in me.  I laughed imagining being quarantined in my house with my kids, I'd have to laugh to survive right? Can you imagine everyone cooped in one house for a long period of time, I go nuts after a 2-3 day self-imposed quarintine for the flu! I cried, more than I'll care to admit. I was scared, fearful and heavy hearted. There were many time I put this book down and had to just breathe. I don't want to give away too much but I will say this if you read this book you won't be the same afterwards. I decided to review this book as I overheard a conversation in the grocery store the other night and immediately thought of this story and how we really can never be prepared for what might come. Three Cheers to Carla Buckley for taking something that could be real and turning it into a story I'll forever remember!


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment